Saturday, June 06, 2009

Hives, Sun and Water...???


Well the little Spear family has been having fun in the sun recently. It has been such nice weather that we have been out and about. This is not typical for Spokane to be so nice in May and the beginning of June but it is a nice change.

We borrowed Emily's bike and trailer and took Nixon for a ride. Don't worry we made it out of the driveway.


But not far until the little guy was asleep. We had fun though riding around. I haven't been on my bike in years and I had to quickly remember HOW to ride a bike. And afterward I realized why I don't ride my bike so much, my butt was sore after just a short ride.


Cute Boy...nine months old almost ten months...where did the time go?

Hives are NOT fun for anyone!
Well last week or so Nixon had been fussing and had a temperature for a few days. I thought at first it was just because his other top tooth was coming in, BUT three days of a high temperature. We went to the doctor and he had fluid in BOTH ears and possibly strep throat. The doctor asked if I had been around any sick kids, and I hadn't. Man I felt bad I had let it go for three days. Poor little guy was miserable. They put him on amoxicillian and we were off. By day two our little happy boy was back. So we went on amoxicillian thrusday night and on tuesday night I noticed these red dots on his leg. I thought the mosquitos had gotten him and didn't worry about it. Then Wednesday more dots by his neck..."Those mosquitos are worse than I thought," I thought to myself. But by Wednesday night, we realized those were NOT mosquito bites. They were all over his body so I racked my brain to think what I had fed him that was new and he could be allergic to. I had given him strawberries on sunday but that was too long of a wait for a reaction.
Thus we were off to the doctor AGAIN. Man I swear the nurses kringe when they see my name on the note to call back. BUT good thing we went in because Nixon had HIVES and he was allergic to amoxicillian.

This was the hives on Thursday when we took him to the doctor.

On his face too, with some snot mixed in.

And his chest.

But OH WAIT... they got worse. The doctor said they could last up to seven days after the last dose of amoxicillan and she was right. They got worse and worse everyday.
This was Friday night. I was going to take him out to the softball game but I figured I better not. Other parents might think he had chicken pox or measles or something awful.

Saturday morning they got even worse.
Now they were bigger and redder. But surprisingly enough Nixon was a happy boy through the whole thing. I would have been a mess but he played and laughed and thought nothing of the hives all over his body. I think it was worse for me than him in some way. By Sunday morning they were all but gone, it was crazy. He was good as new and we were over the scare of the hives.1st Boating Day

On one of Karens days off we took the boat out to Pondara and cruised the lake in the boat. It was so beautiful and relaxing. We took Nixon onto the beach and he got to sit in the sand for the first time.


Jon put sand on his feet and Nixon wasn't so sure about that.

Nixon was nervous to touch the sand, it was cute.

But slowly he figured it out.

Yeah sand!!! He started liking it more and more. And of course got it all over him and in his diaper and hair and all the places you expect to find sand on a little boy.

The water was another story, however. He wasn't so sure about any of us being in it either.

But he got daring and almost went in.

Nixon on the boat in his lifejacket, which he didn't like at all.


A DAY AT THE POOL

Jon and I decided that since we would be at the lake a lot this summer we better get Nixon ready for the water. So we decided to take "baby steps" to get to the lake. We start with the pool: we took him up to Grandpa Spear's pool and tried it out.


Nixon LOVED it!! Well at least the first step of it.

Yeah Nixon and what a cute swimsuit and swim shirt:)

And he's in with Daddy. Splashing around just like the tub.

Swimming boys!

Drying off in the sun with of course "Mr. Duck"
Where's Nixon???
Nixon is into EVERYTHING these days and loves to be right under your feet. I try to distract him and thus he finds ways of entertaining himself really well. But if he gets lost these are some of his favorite places to be.

In mom's sock drawer.

Pulling out ALL of the socks and undoing a lot of them in the process.
Or he could be upstairs in the kitchen taking everything out of the pan cupboard.
Banging the pans onto the floor and together making lots of good loud noises.
OR
Nixon could be found in the dishwasher where he LOVES to take out the dirty or clean silverware and throw it on the floor. Or he will just get IN the dishwasher if you try and stop him from getting everything out.
Nixon also can be found under the table. He likes to be like dad and work at the desk downstairs. Although he just likes to take all the paper and throw it every which way.
Nixon also could be found behind the couch downstairs. He follows darby behind there.

Darby must think she can get away from Nixon... ha ha she can't.

But he might try and stand up which is never a good idea behind a couch, that head is just way to big!!!

And lastly he could be found in the car. Isn't his new carseat cute?!! Jon laughed at me but I LOVE it!! He loves to ride in the car and go anywhere.

Here is a little video of Nixon testing the water and sand.

4 comments:

Kimba said...

Cute! I love his little beach outfit. Glad he's over his hives, that's miserable!

Amber said...

Cute post Michelle! Poor Nixon...those hives were horrible!!! Just wanted to let you know that we would love if you guys could come to Joel's graduation party bbq on this coming Saturday, the 13th...I believe...it is from 5-7 at our house. We would love to see you guys and Nixon too...what a big boy! I will send your invite w/ Joel to softball.

Sarah said...

Holy pictures! Love it though! And for the record...I think it's almost always worse for the mom when kids are sick. Kids are so resilient and moms are too emotional! The guessing game of when to take them to the doctor and when they just have to get over it on their own is awful! I haven't mastered it yet! Glad he's doing better and now you know what he's allergic to! Too bad though, amoxicillan is the best tasting of the group...and the cheapest. Poor Micah has pretty much tried them all! I also love the carseat! It's totally you!

Kiersten Allred said...

Hey Michelle, I sent you an email but I'm not sure if that was the right address anymore :I Anyways, our address is 942 N 1125 W Layton UT 84041. Hope everything is great!