Wednesday, September 09, 2009

What we did this August.....

So this last August I learned a lot about making some of my favorite things. Karen taught me how to make FREEZER CORN. It is a lot of work but with the help of family we were able to get it done pretty quick and easy. Jon has many "fond" memories of making freezer corn with his siblings. They are pretty funny and somehow get more funny when you are actually making the corn at the time.

Doesn't that look YUMMY?!


Then I made LOTS of freezer jam. I think I made 6 batches of strawberry and 1 batch of strawberry/raspberry and then 4 or 5 of just raspberry. Man we are set for the year! I LOVE jam... especially on homemade bread, but that will have to wait.

Lot at all that jam.

I have always wanted to can pears and peaches and this year I finally did it. My ward was ordering boxes of pears and peaches for a great deal so I thought I would dive in.
I got two 30 pound boxes of each and Karen and Emily helped me with the canning.

The pears were harder, but we did them first so I didn't know just how much harder.
But YUM they tasted just like I remember. We did 4 batches of pears on a Thursday.
Then that same week we did 3 batches of peaches. They were super easy and it went quickly. We did break one bottle in the hot water...oops!

It is a HIT at our house too, Nixon LOVES the peaches and pears. I just hope they last 'til next year. He is eating them like crazy.!!!

No comments: